In this post, we’ll show you how to make the BEST smoked cream cheese with honey drizzle and sweet Texas heat. It’s the perfect appetizer dip, blending sweet, spicy and savory flavors with an incredible creamy texture. And it’s SO easy to make!
Why Smoked Cream Cheese?
Cream cheese is so versatile. Whether it’s part of a dish or the focal point, it’s always delicious! One of my favorite ways to use cream cheese is as a dip with crackers or bread. Pour some jalapeño jelly or raspberry chipotle sauce over a block of fresh cream cheese and that’s all you need!
Or so I thought…
I don’t know who initially had the brilliant idea to smoke a block of cream cheese on the pellet smoker, but that person might just be my new best friend! It is, quite literally, my new favorite way to eat cream cheese. In fact, it may have just taken the first place on my list of favorite appetizers overall. It’s that good!
And our recipe takes it to a whole new level! It’s sweet & creamy with just the right amount of Texas heat!
Ingredients for Smoked Cream Cheese with Honey Drizzle
These are simple ingredients you might already have in your kitchen. If not, you can pick them up at your favorite grocery store. You’ll find a full recipe card with measurements at the bottom of this post but here’s a quick look at what you’re going to need.
- Cream cheese
- Sweet TX Heat Rub by True Texas BBQ (this is our fave, but any sweet heat BBQ rub will do)
- Crackers or bread
How to Make Smoked Cream Cheese with Honey Drizzle
Preheat pellet grill to 165° Fahrenheit (the lower heat will produce more smoke for better flavor).
Open the brick of cream cheese and lay it in a small glass baking dish (you can use a little olive oil to grease the dish if you’d like, but it’s optional).
Using a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in the cream cheese in a crosshatch pattern (make cuts about 1 inch apart and ¼ inch deep).
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Sweet Texas Heat seasoning on top of the cream cheese, fully covering the whole block.
Put the baking dish on the pellet grill, close the lid and smoke the cream cheese for one hour.
At the one hour point, open the lid and drizzle the top of the cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of honey.
Smoke for another 30 minutes.
Remove from the grill, drizzle another tablespoon of honey on top of the cream cheese.
Let sit for a few minutes and serve warm with your favorite crackers, bread or tortilla chips.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container, plastic wrap or aluminum foil and eat within 3-4 days. Reheat before eating.
What to Expect from this Recipe
This smoked cream cheese with honey drizzle is the perfect balance of sweet and heat. The caramelized honey pairs with the spice of the Sweet Texas Heat seasoning in the best way! And the smoky flavor from the grill brings it all together beautifully.
This rich and creamy easy appetizer pairs perfectly with crackers, bread, chips or even fresh veggies. And it is so simple to make! Our smoked cream cheese with honey drizzle will be a huge hit at your next party or gathering. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Make it Your Own
We love this smoked cream cheese appetizer just as it is, but here are some great ways to change it up next time:
- Use new seasonings to top the cream cheese. Some different options are bagel seasoning, taco seasoning, Italian seasoning, ranch seasoning, garlic powder, or your favorite bbq rub or dry rub.
- Change up the toppings! You can top it with green onions, pepper jelly, hot honey, or even sprinkle a little brown sugar on top.
- Try serving your smoked cream cheese with something different! We recommend pita chips, bagel chips, ritz crackers, apple slices or nilla wafers!
- For a lighter smoked cream cheese recipe, you can use low-fat cream cheese.
- Use multiple blocks of cream cheese to create a charcuterie board with different varieties of cream cheese appetizers to take your gathering to the next level!
Questions People are Asking
I don’t have a pellet smoker. Can I use a regular gas grill or charcoal grill to make this cream cheese?
Absolutely! You will just need to create indirect heat and smoke. On a gas grill, light the burners on one side and place your glass baking dish on the opposite side. On a charcoal grill, move your lit coals to one side and place the baking dish on the grates above the opposite side.
For either method, you will want to add the smoke flavor, which can easily be done by using a Smokin Wedgie BBQ Pellet Smoker Box and wood pellets. You can get pellets at most local grocery or home improvement stores. For more info on how to use the smokin wedgie, click here.
Do I have to use a glass baking dish?
Absolutely not! You can use a small cast iron skillet, a shallow disposable aluminum baking dish or any other oven or grill safe baking dish you like.
What to Serve with Smoked Cream Cheese
If you’re looking for some delicious recipes to serve alongside your smoked cream cheese dip, here are some great suggestions:
These Smoked Pig Shots feature sausage and seasoned cream cheese, wrapped in a delicious piece of crispy bacon. This delicious appetizer would be perfect alongside the smoked cream cheese for your next party!
Nothing goes with savory cream cheese quite like a delicious steak! These Simple Reverse-Seared Steaks are absolutely delicious and turn out perfect every time. Give them a try!
Since we’re on the topic of cream cheese, why not give this incredible Classic Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from Out of the Box Baking a try! Talk about yummy!
Here’s another amazing dessert from Back to My Southern Roots. This Chocolate Brownie Bundt Cake Recipe is simple and delicious!
Thanks for Stopping By!
That’s it for this post, friends! We hope you enjoy the sweet and savory flavors of this smoked cream cheese with honey drizzle. This tasty appetizer is one of our new recipes and it’s already a favorite!
Why Not Pin Some Pictures While You’re Here?
See this recipe at:
About the Man Behind the Grill
Zach Morrow was born and raised in Texas and has always had a passion for great barbecue. He’s at home behind the grill and loves to feed his friends and family home-cooked favorites as often as he can. He especially loves trying new things and is excited to produce recipes like this one for Backyard Texas Grill.
- 8 oz. block of cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Sweet TX Heat Rub by True Texas BBQ
- Crackers or Bread
1. Preheat pellet grill to 165° Fahrenheit (the lower heat will produce more smoke for better flavor).
2. Open the block of cream cheese and lay it in a small glass baking dish.
3. Using a sharp knife, cut diagonal slits in the cream cheese in a crosshatch pattern (make cuts about 1 inch apart and ¼ inch deep).
4. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Sweet Texas Heat seasoning on top of the cream cheese, fully covering the whole block.
5. Put the baking dish on the pellet grill, close the lid and smoke the cream cheese for one hour.
6. At the one hour point, open the lid and drizzle the top of the cream cheese with 1 tablespoon of honey.
7. Smoke for another 30 minutes.
8. Remove from the grill, drizzle another tablespoon of honey on top of the cream cheese.
9. Let sit for a few minutes and serve warm!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 158Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
This nutritional value does not include crackers or bread